The event featured a panel with participants pictured above on "Creative Exits for Startups" and how Entrepreneurs can still get a valuable payout before they plan their move to chase a new passion. The panel presented a great diversity of thought with an interactive session involving the audience to discuss several interesting ways of ensuring that you and your investors can exit meaningfully.
Some of the questions that were contemplated include:
1. When is the best time to plan out an exit strategy? We examine exits contemplated in the early stages through the later stages.
2. What constitutes the most value in your company, such as the people, intellectual knowledge, relationships or the network. i.e. where are the value drivers, when an acquirer looks at you? Is it the alliances, customers, or intellectual property such as the patents? Or is it the technologies, the products the channels and the management team as well as the operational processes that make your company successful?
3. What are the non-conventional ways to ‘get out of Dodge’ and still get a great payback?!
And there was one more thing...Speed Dating:
OPEN SV held a 30 minute Business Speed Dating session before the general networking and panel, where participants connected to other like minded individuals and discovered how they may help each other or make a great connection for the future. People were looking for:
1. A co-founder for a startup idea
2. Investor for a startup
3. Looking to invest in a startup
How it worked:
Each SD participant got one minute to present an elevator pitch to their SD partner, sitting opposite them. Notes were made, business cards were exchanged, smartphones were shaken, clicked and bumped. There was a limit of 30 SD participants… first come first served. This was facilitated before the dinner was served.
6:00 - 6:30 Registration and Speed Dating (Speed Dating is for OPEN SV members only)
6:30 - 7:00 Open Networking/Dinner
7:00 - 7:10 Welcome & Announcements
7:10 - 8:15 Panel Discussion + Audience Q&A
8:15 - 9:00 Networking/Close